Personal Property Tax Rebate
State legislation allows counties to negotiate corporate personal property tax rebates. Jefferson County’s policy for qualifying companies is to rebate up to 50 percent of corporate personal property taxes for four years. Jefferson County Economic Development Corporation is the county’s designated agent for incentive recommendations. Incentive proposals are evaluated based on the total economic impact to Jefferson County, which includes capital investment, job growth and wage levels.
To qualify for a rebate, the project must fall into one of the following categories:
- New Business Facility–a newly acquired, constructed or leased facility used to operate a revenue-producing enterprise.
- Qualified Replacement Facility–a facility in which a business has invested at least $3 million, or 300 percent, of the investment in the old facility.
- Qualified Expansion Facility–expansion qualifies under "new business facility," and the facility isn't a "replacement facility."
- A company requesting a rebate must be a "primary employer," a company that sells a product or service outside the county (bringing new dollars into the county)
- Pay average salaries of more than $33,394 (excluding top management).
All incentives are considered on a case-by-case basis. The company must be in the negotiation stages of the relocation or expansion process, and an incentive package will only be considered before a company makes a final site-selection decision. Please note that the county’s incentives are usually limited to a match of the amount of incentives offered by the city.